A long weekend always always brings to mind endless eating, lots of family and some down time. I understand it is Columbus Day in the US today. It is Thanksgiving here in Canada.
Unfortunately, He-Who has to work this Holiday weekend so there will be no festive feast (although we pretty much have the whole endless eating thing down). We don’t live near any family any more so any visiting I do is via Skype and as for “down time”, did I mention He-Who is working?
Now, before you start thinking this is a pity party let me say, it is not. I am a very fortunate person and have an endless list of things to be grateful for.
• I am grateful that He-Who has a job that keeps us warm and full and that he is willing to spend endless hours in heavy traffic to get to and from that job
• I am grateful for Skype. It is difficult to be away from the people you love and Skype allows me to visit with them in their home almost like I am sitting there. My youngest niece knows how much I miss her and that I often feel that I am missing so much of her baby girl’s life. She will often just call me on Skype and then go about her business while chatting with me. Her little one will pop up and say “hi”, play games with me and show me her latest acquisitions. I believe that she thinks her Auntie and her Uncle He-Who live in the computer.
• I am grateful for my friends and family, although I seldom see them they are always in my heart.
• I am grateful that both my sister and I are “survivors”
• I am grateful that ,although my Mom did not “survive”, that I had her in my life for the first 12 years and that she loved me unconditionally.
• I am grateful for all the people in my life that have come and gone, always leaving behind a memory, a lesson or love.
• I am grateful that I was given a strong foundation as a child and that my faith has never left me.
• I am grateful that I am Canadian. I was born in a country that has so many freedoms and advantages. I really like that we have Thanksgiving a month before the US. It gives us a full extra month to get ready for that big turkey dinner at Christmas.
This weekend I am really grateful that I have my trail in all its glory to spend some time on. It reminds me of how grateful I am for all the things above and more. Please let me share some of this beauty with you as I am very grateful for you, Dear Reader, every time you stop by to have a look, a “like” or leave a comment.