It’s a new year.
I’m happy to start a new year.
2012 was not one of my favourite years but I don’t wish it away for anything because along with some of the really bad things that happened, a lot of really great things happened.
This year for the first time in my life I am making a New Year’s resolution that I know without a doubt I am going to keep. I promise on my honour for as long as I live, I will never, and I do mean never, move during the Christmas Holidays again. If some insane impulse ever makes me even contemplate this I beg all of you to please slap me upside the head. Do not hold back. Just swing back and wallop me with everything you have got!
Who in their right mind would ever decide to do such a thing? Well, I did find someone else who has done it. Amy over at The Bumble Files had a tale to tell in her A Christmas Journey: Ghost of the Past. I am letting her use the “temporary insanity” card.
It seemed like a good idea at the time and I was excited about being back in Niagara Falls for Christmas. I had a plan. I was organized. I made gigantic labels for everything so there would be no confusion.
1) STORAGE 2) NIAGARA FALLS 3) DUMP
I had been purging for weeks and thought I had it all figured out. “Ha!” I say, “Ha!”. Let me just say this, the move began Friday Dec. 21st. Never in my wildest imagination of disasters did I picture us having to drive back to Oshawa everyday (including Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve) except for Christmas Day & Boxing Day. Pieces of furniture were missed that were to go in storage and we were unable to get them in the car so we had to rent a vehicle. A lot of things were missed with the load that went to the dump and the Christmas presents I had carefully labelled with the children’s name that were to receive them and set aside somehow ended up in storage. I hope. Yes, we were the last ones to leave Walmart on Christmas Eve trying to not disappoint a little one. Did I mention that we finally got the winter storms that had been predicted? The driving back and forth was pretty nerve wracking.
We had made arrangements in advance for some temporary measures to be taken both with Canada Post and with our internet provider as this location was not to be our final destination. When it came time to implement these plans all of a sudden we were told, “you can’t do that”. In the panic that ensued (admittedly more from me than from He-Who) tears were shed (yeah, me again) and we had to figure out a new plan. Needless to say we were off-line far too long. Somehow I am no longer getting all the notifications for the blogs I follow. It may take forever and a day to catch up on my reading and commenting but I am trying. If I miss any please forgive me in advance.
That being said I do have to acknowledge some awards bestowed upon me before the big moving fiasco.
Thank you Lisa from Life With The Top Down for “passing forward” the Liebster Award to me and to Meredith at The Wanderlust Gene for nominating me for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award. I have come to admire both these women for their writing and feel that I have come to know them well from our “comment” conversation. With each award there is always a criteria to follow for passing along the honour so here we go.
According to Lisa, Liebster (pronounced: leeb-stir) is a German word meaning sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome. The Liebster Blog Award recognizes up and coming bloggers and winners are asked to “pay it back and forward.” The award is given to those bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
The Rules for the Liebster Award are as follows:
- Link back to the blogger who gave you this award
- Post the award to your blog
- Post 11 things about yourself.
- Answer the questions asked of you, plus create 11 new questions for your nominees to answer
- Nominate 11 people you think deserve the award and link them to your post.
- Go to their pages and tell them they have been chosen
Rules of the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award
- All recipients need to thank the giver
- Post 7 things about yourself
- Pass the award on to 7 other bloggers of their choice and let them know that they have been nominated.
- Include the logo of the award in a post or on your blog
I’m going to do a little cheating here and answer the 11 questions Lisa asked me and hopefully you will accept that as the “things about myself” for both awards.
1. What is you favorite song of all time?
It’s A Wonderful World – has to be Louis singing it.
2. Boxers, briefs, boy shorts, granny panties, thong or the universal choice of Commando?
Boy Shorts – To be honest it depends on who is doing the wearing.
3. Would you break the law to save a loved one?
Without thinking twice.
4. Would you go back to being a teenager, without the wisdom you have now?
I was much wiser as a teenager. Also, I could always use that I was “young and stupid” as an excuse.
5. What are you most grateful for?
The short period of time I had with my Mother.
6. Are you a beach or mountain kind of person?
Beach. Beach. Beach.Beach.Beach.Beach
7. Reveal one of your guilty pleasures?
American Hogger fascinated me.
8. Are you a dark, milk or white chocolate lover?
I know I will never hear the end of this but I am not a fan of chocolate. Give me butterscotch or caramel. If I had to choose chocolate it would be white.
9. If you could give a newborn child one piece of advice, what would it be?
10. What is your best childhood memory?
Listening to my Mother sing.
11. Do you act your age or your shoe size?
Neither…lately I have been acting way older than my shoe size.
I am passing forward the Liebster Award to:
• Woggins Writing • Twenty8 • Meredith With Her Mouth Open • There And Back • My Ideal Woman • Vyvacious • Edith Levy Photograpy • Cowboys and Crossbones • Matterings of Mind • Bohemian Sentiments • Personal Perceptions
The 11 questions I have chosen for the above bloggers are …
1) What is your favourite line from a movie?
2) Name three songs you have sung most recently.
3) What is your favourite flavour of ice cream?
4) Dog or cat?
5) Name your top five TV shows (past or present)?
6) When you walk with someone you love do you hold hands or link arms?
7) What is the one thing that will bring a smile to your face even on your darkest day?
8) Would you rather walk through a garden or on a beach?
9) Have you ever worn socks with sandals?
10) If you could go anywhere in the world where would it be?
11) Have you ever laughed so hard something embarrassing happens?
Here are my seven nominees for The Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award:
One other honour I would like to mention is that I was “Freshly Pressed”. Being “Freshly Pressed” is something I think we all would like to happen whether we admit it or not. Le Clown On Fire actually campaigned to have it happen to him. In my case the post that brought me the honour was actually written on another blog I am a part of called Canadica. It is a collaboration of a group of American and Canadian bloggers pretty much poking fun at each other’s country. If you are looking for a good laugh I suggest you check it out.
One final thing I would like to mention as we start burning through another year. He-Who has decided that he is no longer “He Who Shall Remain Nameless For His Own Protection” and has taken to calling himself “He-Who Must Not Be Blamed”. This is going to be an interesting year.